TOWN OF EAST MILLINOCKET
ASSISTANT WASTEWATER OPERATOR
The Town of East Millinocket is currently seeking applicants for a full-time Assistant Wastewater Operator. 16-hours weekend O/T per month required. Paid Call-ins. Health/Vision/Retirement package, vacation/sick time, and clothing allowance offered. Pre-employment physical required. Subject to Federal DOT drug screening. Must be able to obtain wastewater/water licensing. Class B license and heavy equipment operation preferred. Applications can be found at www.eastmillinocket.org.
Applications may be obtained and returned to:
53 Main Street
East Millinocket, ME 04430
Deadline: Until suitable candidate is found
The Town of East Millinocket is an EOE
Job Title WASTEWATER ASSISTANT OPERATOR
WATER WORKS ASSISTANT OPERATOR
Department: WATER-WASTEWATER UTILITIES DEPARTMENT
Supervisor: WATER WORKS & WASTEWATER SUPERINTENDENT
This is a responsible, hourly paid position which performs the daily duties and operations of the EM Wastewater Treatment Facility and Waterworks Facility. Work includes operation of heavy and light machinery and is on call twenty-four (24) hours a day on a rotating scheduled basis and for routine weekend duties. This employee, when on call and on weekend duty will assume the duties required for both utility departments, water and wastewater.
TYPICAL DUTIES WATER DEPARTMENT (but not limited to)
- Responsible for maintenance of all Water Works systems.
- Reads meters, submits reading to Treasurer.
- Check for broken meters.
- Installs and repairs water meters.
- Operates backhoe, front-end loader and other heavy equipment.
- Installs water lines and pipes.
- Repairs mains and breaks.
- Responsible for pumphouse operations (i.e.: changing & administering chemicals).
- Responsible for monthly water testing (DEP & DHS).
- Responsible for installation, upkeep and repair of hydrants.
- Monitors charts, gauges and other instruments.
- Performs some mechanical work.
- Investigates citizen complaints and ensures corrective action is taken.
- Works weekends on a rotating call schedule between Water/Waste depts.
- Is on call during week on rotating schedule between Waste/Waste depts.
- Grounds work as needed.
- Other as directed or required by the Utility Superintendent or Assistant Operator.
TYPICAL DUTIES WASTEWATER DEPARTMENT (but not limited to)
- Oversees operations of the Wastewater Facility Operations.
- Daily lab tests.
- Some heavy manual labor (handles firewood, freight, materials, equipment, indoor/outdoor janitorial work).
- Some mechanical work.
- Assisting in sludge dewatering process.
- Weekend coverage and weekday on-call duties.
- Any work pertaining to operation of department (i.e.: snow removal, plowing, lawn mowing).
- Cleaning and minor repair work on department vehicles.
- Cleaning drains and sumps.
- Other as directed or required by the Utility Superintendent or Operator.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
Thorough knowledge of water and wastewater operations and process control of a Municipal water facility and a Municipal wastewater treatment facility. Ability to operate heavy equipment. Knowledge of water systems, pipe layout, pumphouses, electrical motors and power safety, etc.…Ability to work a rotating weekly call schedule and weekend duty twenty-four (24) hours a day. Thorough knowledge of Public Utilities Commission rules and regulations. Knowledge of laboratory procedures, skilled in planning and making plant repairs and detecting defects in operating equipment. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, subordinates and the public. Considerable knowledge of the proper and safe use of hand and power tools. Good physical condition and stamina. Possession of a valid motor vehicle class C Operator’s License issued by the State of Maine and is insurable under the Town’s Vehicle Insurance Policy.
Employee is required to have and maintain a valid A or B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) and shall be insurable under the Town’s vehicle insurance coverage.
- Commitment to public service
- Applicants must be able to perform the essential job functions.
- Be able to pass a pre-employment physical and substance abuse test.
- Sense of humor
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING
Completion of a standard high school course supplemented by training or courses in wastewater and water operations, or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required skills, knowledges and abilities.
Possession of Certified Water System Class II Operator’s License, Grade 2.
Possession of Certified Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator License, Grade 3.
Employee shall have strong language, mathematical and reasoning skills necessary to lead the public works crew and its operations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands for this job may include frequent climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, handling, feeling, talking, hearing, the ability to lift, carry, push, pull greater than 50 pounds. Flexibility is important because of the need to climb into a variety of equipment, climb over and around obstacles, suddenly move out of the way of dangers, etc. Mental alertness is important because of the need to make fine distinctions and decisions concerning subtle cues to impending danger. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to maintain the ability to walk up and down stairs, utilize protective equipment, including eye wear, footwear, hearing protection, gloves, and protective clothing, endure moderate exposure to weather, extreme heat and cold, wet and/or humid conditions, high level noise intensity, vibration, moving mechanical parts/hazards, dirt/dust, odors, and other environmental conditions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, hazardous chemicals and materials and intense outdoor seasonal conditions. The noise level in the work environment varies from moderate to extreme.