Job Title: FILL-IN TRANSFER SITE ATTENDANT
Department: PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT
Supervisor: PUBLIC WORKS DIRECTOR-LEADMAN
The Fill-In Transfer Site attendant is responsible for covering shifts for the Transfer Attendant in the event of sickness, vacation, or when the Regular employee is needed for work in the Public Works Department. The employee performs general manual labor. This is an as need position, which is responsible to the Public Works Director or Leadman. This is an employment position within the Solid Waste Department of the Public Works.
Work involves service as a laborer at the Transfer Site. Work includes process of collected materials that are left by residents at the Transfer Station. Materials include, but are not limited to, residential trash (MSW), yard waste, demolition debris, and many different items separated for recycling. This individual interacts with the residents of the community and must be a people person with good communication skills. Duties involve being responsible for a variety of tools and equipment necessary for the completion of assigned tasks and may involve service as a helper to other Town employees-departments.
TYPICAL DUTIES (but not limited to)
- Operates fork lift truck, baling equipment, brush chipper and glass crushing equipment.
- Operates Pallet Jacks
- Responsible for day-to-day maintenance of equipment and facility.
- Assists townspeople in dumping-sorting their solid waste.
- Locks and unlocks transfer site gate.
- Distributes decals and checks vehicles for residency.
- Responsible for determining unsafe or unallowable items and preventing them from being dumped.
- Responsible for safety of townspeople, keeps children away.
- Maintains appropriate recycle-solid waste records.
- Performs a variety of heavy manual work in connection with the collection and disposal of solid waste and recycle materials.
- Operates general facility equipment.
- Other as directed or required by the Public Works Director or Leadman.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
Skill in operation of light motor equipment under all types of weather conditions, ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions, mechanical aptitude and dependability. Good physical condition.
Ability to lift a 70 lb. (pound) propane fuel tank onto the fork truck and to reattach it to the truck. Ability to lift a blue filled curbside recycle container that can weigh as much as 95 lbs (pounds) from ground level to about 48 inches high.
- Commitment to public service
- Be a high school graduate or have passed a high school equivalency exam.
- Applicants must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Applicants must be able to perform the essential job functions.
- Be able to pass a pre-employment physical.
- Sense of humor
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING
Experience in the operation of equipment such as a fork truck and completion of a standard high school course or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge and skills.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands for this job may include frequent climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, handling, feeling, talking, hearing, the ability to lift, carry, push, pull greater than 70 to 95 pounds. Flexibility is important because of the need to climb into a variety of equipment, climb over and around obstacles, suddenly move out of the way of dangers, etc. Mental alertness is important because of the need to make fine distinctions and decisions concerning subtle cues to impending danger. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to maintain the ability to walk up and down stairs, utilize protective equipment, including eye wear, footwear, hearing protection, gloves, and protective clothing, endure moderate exposure to weather, extreme heat and cold, wet and/or humid conditions, high level noise intensity, vibration, moving mechanical parts/hazards, dirt/dust, odors, and other environmental conditions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, hazardous chemicals and materials and intense outdoor seasonal conditions. The noise level in the work environment varies from moderate to extreme.
HOW TO APPLY
Click here to download a copy of our employment application.
Applications may be submitted by email to email@example.com or mailed to the address below. Please indicate which position(s) you are applying for. Applications must be received by April 10th, 2020 at 4:00pm.
53 Main Street
East Millinocket, ME 04430