Job Title: TRUCK DRIVER
Department: PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT
Supervisor: PUBLIC WORKS DIRECTOR-LEADMAN
This work requires a high degree of skill in manipulating heavy motor equipment and constant attention to safety of operation in order to prevent accidents. Work assignments are made by the Public Works Director/Foreman. This is a Highway Department position.
TYPICAL DUTIES (but not limited to):
- Operates a backhoe, grader, front end loader and street sweeper to grade or excavate land, to back fill excavations and trenches, to shape and maintain road surfaces and in other maintenance operations.
- Operates snowplow, sander, sidewalk pow and dump truck during snow removal operations.
- Operates trucks in connections with transportation of sand, stone and gravel supplies.
- When not operating equipment, performs routine or semi-skilled labor tasks.
- Responsible for maintenance and construction of storm and sanitary sewers.
- Thaws and cleans catch basins, installs and replaces culverts.
- Assists Water Works with laying water pipes.
- Assists other department and town employees when necessary.
- Erects signs and barricades.
- Patches roads by shoveling mix off truck, repairs pot holes and frost heaves.
- Performs a variety of other heavy manual work in connection with the maintenance and construction of sidewalks and streets.
- Other as directed or required by the Board of Selectmen.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
Good knowledge of traffic and safety rules and accident prevention practices, skill in operation of heavy and light motor equipment under all types of weather conditions, ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions, mechanical aptitude and dependability. Good physical condition.
Possession of a valid motor vehicle Class B Driver’s License (CDL) issued by the State of Maine, which is subject to all State Laws and municipal policies enacted, in effect and as amended.
- Commitment to public service
- Be a high school graduate or have passed a high school equivalency exam.
- Applicants must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Applicants must be able to perform the essential job functions.
- Be able to pass a pre-employment physical and substance abuse test.
- Sense of humor
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING
Considerable experience in the operation of heavy motor equipment and completion of a standard high school course or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge and skills. Employee is required to have and maintain a valid A or B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) and shall be insurable under the Town’s vehicle insurance coverage.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands for this job may include frequent climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, handling, feeling, talking, hearing, the ability to lift, carry, push, pull greater than 50 pounds. Flexibility is important because of the need to climb into a variety of equipment, climb over and around obstacles, suddenly move out of the way of dangers, etc. Mental alertness is important because of the need to make fine distinctions and decisions concerning subtle cues to impending danger. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to maintain the ability to walk up and down stairs, utilize protective equipment, including eye wear, footwear, hearing protection, gloves, and protective clothing, endure moderate exposure to weather, extreme heat and cold, wet and/or humid conditions, high level noise intensity, vibration, moving mechanical parts/hazards, dirt/dust, odors, and other environmental conditions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, hazardous chemicals and materials and intense outdoor seasonal conditions. The noise level in the work environment varies from moderate to extreme.
HOW TO APPLY
Click here to download a copy of our employment application.
Applications may be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the address below. Please indicate which position(s) you are applying for. Applications will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
53 Main Street
East Millinocket, ME 04430